2020/21 Reopening Plans
Our team has been hard at work planning for the start of the 2020-2021 school year. Based on your input and our focus on ensuring our schools are safe, built on relationships between students and our staff, consistent for you and your family, and allow students to learn, we have submitted to New York State that it is our plan to begin our school year fully virtual through at least October 30. We have also submitted planning around a hybrid model (rotation of in-person and remote learning at under 50% capacity) and a fully in-person model, as required by NYS.
We want to have an in-person learning option as soon as possible but, based on current information, we don’t know when that will be an option for our community. We will continue to evaluate the new information we’re receiving almost daily and re-open in-person as soon as we can ensure it is safe and will allow us to focus on relationships, consistent routines, and excellent in-person instruction.
Starting the year fully virtual will allow us to focus all of our time and energy into building an exceptional distance learning model with your feedback in mind. Classes will primarily be from 9 AM – 1 PM every day, with small group work, individual supports, and other assignments from 1 – 3 PM. Teaching will be done both synchronously (live) and asynchronously every day.
What You Can Count On
- Every child will receive their own Chromebook (or iPad, if your student is in Kindergarten at KIPP Tech Valley Primary School).
- If you need Internet access at home, we will provide you with a free WiFi hotspot.
- We will work with you to provide other resources or supports you need to make this work for your student.
- Your student will be in a cohort of no more than 10-15 students to ensure they get individualized support.
- You will receive a daily schedule for your student and have access to their remote learning platforms to know when assignments are due, if they’re attending classes or submitting work, and how they’re doing.
- Each family will have a customized, one-on-one in-person orientation to ensure you (and any other family members supporting your child) know how to access remote learning. We’ll repeat this training as often as you need it.
- Remote learning will be designed so your child can access it on their own, without continued adult support.
- We will continue meal service and are exploring drop-off points or home delivery to make it easier for your family to take advantage of free breakfast and lunch.
- For our youngest students, we’re exploring options to provide supervised learning spaces for the small number of students who have no home-learning options. Please contact your school’s principal if you think this may apply to you.
We will also continue to seek parent feedback to help us refine these plans, make them work best for you, and determine when is the best time to reopen our schools for in-person instruction.
We will get through this together, and will continue to do everything possible to ensure our students and families. Thank you for your trust in our schools.
KIPP Albany Community Public Charter Schools is a new partnership between KIPP Tech Valley Charter Schools and Albany Community Charter Schools. KIPP Albany is now comprised of four schools for the 2020-2021 school year: KIPP Tech Valley Primary School (1 Dudley Heights), KIPP Tech Valley Middle School (321 Northern Blvd), KIPP Albany Community Charter Elementary School (65 Krank Street), and KIPP Albany Community Charter Middle School (42 S. Dove). All four schools will be following the same reopening plan for 2020-2021. Visit the school pages for more school-specific information.