2020/21 Reopening Plans
UPDATE: October 15, 2020
Families, as you know, based on your input and our focus on ensuring the safety of our communities, all of our schools are scheduled to be fully virtual through October 30.
As we approach the end of the month of October, we have gathered family and staff feedback through surveys to ensure we had new and accurate data to base our re-opening decisions on. As always, our decisions are grounded in the safety of our students and staff, relationships, routines, and providing instruction that has a positive measurable impact on student outcomes.
For students in grades kindergarten through second:
- In November and December, Kindergarten through Second Grade students at KIPP Albany Community Charter Elementary and KIPP Tech Valley Primary will have the option to opt-in to in-person learning, with Kindergarten returning first the week of November 16th .
- First and Second Grade students will return in phases over the following weeks. Please see messages from your school for a detailed schedule.
- All K-2 families will have the option to choose the best option for their child. Families will choose to in-person learning or continue with virtual learning. Please refer to messages from your student’s school with more information and to opt-in to the model that works best for your family.
- Once you select in-person or virtual, this is the model that your child will be committed to through the December Holiday Break. If you have not yet received a message, please contact the school directly.
For students in grades three through eight:
- Third through Eighth Grade students at KIPP Albany will remain in a virtual learning environment through the December Holiday Break.
- As we move closer to December, we will continue to seek family input to obtain updated data and hear your feedback on the best learning environment for your child. Plans for January will be announced before the break.
Based on your input, we are also increasing the capacity of our Supervised Learning Spaces at KIPP Tech Valley Middle School. As K-2 students return to in-person learning, those spots will be made available to KIPP Albany students under the age of 12 in grades three through eight on a first come, first served basis. If you are interested in one of these spaces, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
UPDATE: July 31, 2020
Our team has been hard at work planning for the start of the 2020-2021 school year. Based on your input and our focus on ensuring our schools are safe, built on relationships between students and our staff, consistent for you and your family, and allow students to learn, we have submitted to New York State that it is our plan to begin our school year fully virtual through at least October 30. We have also submitted planning around a hybrid model (rotation of in-person and remote learning at under 50% capacity) and a fully in-person model, as required by NYS.
We want to have an in-person learning option as soon as possible but, based on current information, we don’t know when that will be an option for our community. We will continue to evaluate the new information we’re receiving almost daily and re-open in-person as soon as we can ensure it is safe and will allow us to focus on relationships, consistent routines, and excellent in-person instruction.
Starting the year fully virtual will allow us to focus all of our time and energy into building an exceptional distance learning model with your feedback in mind. Learning will primarily be from 9 AM – 1 PM every day, with small group work, individual supports, and other assignments from 1 – 3 PM. Teaching will be done both synchronously (live) and asynchronously every day.
What You Can Count On
- Every child will receive their own Chromebook (or iPad, if your student is in Kindergarten at KIPP Tech Valley Primary School).
- If you need Internet access at home, we will provide you with a free WiFi hotspot.
- We will work with you to provide other resources or supports you need to make this work for your student.
- Your student will be in a cohort of no more than 10-15 students to ensure they get individualized support.
- You will receive a daily schedule for your student and have access to their remote learning platforms to know when assignments are due, if they’re attending classes or submitting work, and how they’re doing.
- Each family will have a customized, one-on-one in-person orientation to ensure you (and any other family members supporting your child) know how to access remote learning. We’ll repeat this training as often as you need it.
- Remote learning will be designed so your child can access it on their own, without continued adult support.
- We will continue meal service and are exploring drop-off points or home delivery to make it easier for your family to take advantage of free breakfast and lunch.
- For our youngest students, we’re exploring options to provide supervised learning spaces for the small number of students who have no home-learning options. Please contact your school’s principal if you think this may apply to you.
We will also continue to seek parent feedback to help us refine these plans, make them work best for you, and determine when is the best time to reopen our schools for in-person instruction.
We will get through this together, and will continue to do everything possible to ensure our students and families. Thank you for your trust in our schools.
KIPP Albany Community Public Charter Schools is a new partnership between KIPP Tech Valley Charter Schools and Albany Community Charter Schools. KIPP Albany is now comprised of four schools for the 2020-2021 school year: KIPP Tech Valley Primary School (1 Dudley Heights), KIPP Tech Valley Middle School (321 Northern Blvd), KIPP Albany Community Charter Elementary School (65 Krank Street), and KIPP Albany Community Charter Middle School (42 S. Dove). All four schools will be following the same reopening plan for 2020-2021. Visit the school pages for more school-specific information.